Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Marriage and Music on a Monday!

Can you tell I am fond of alliteration and literary references?  I guess it's the word nerd in me.
Source: etsy.com via Katharine on Pinterest

To start off with, today officially marks the first anniversary of my marriage!  And I finally got the "Thank You" notes mailed... last Wednesday!  That's right... 5 days ago!   Wedding etiquette says you have a year to mail out thank you notes, and we took that guideline VERY LITERALLY!  My husband and I tend to procrastinate, but that wasn't the only reason it took us so long to get those things mailed out!  We didn't end up getting our photos until 4-5 months after the wedding, so that kind of delayed things a bit.  The wait was TOTALLY worth it, though, because I was super happy with the results!  Anyone who can make me look pretty when I was 30 pounds overweight* and my skin had been breaking out just weeks before because of the stress is a-okay in my book!

Then, right after we got photos, the busiest time of the school year commenced (state testing), and time just got away from me.  It didn't help that I was taking (and still am) graduate credits for my permanent teaching certification either.  Summer flew by (as it always does), and the next thing I knew, the ol' one year was just around the corner.  Busy, busy, busy!  It ended up working out really nicely, though, because we came up with the idea to send the thank you notes like "Anniversary" cards, so that people would get them a few days before the wedding anniversary.  This way, they would be a nice little reminder of that day for the people receiving them!  Since they were photo thank you notes, too, it was like each person got their own wedding photos as a thank you/anniversary present!  I'm happy the way it all turned out!  Efficient I might not be, but clever I certainly can be! :)  I will not post the entire thank you note here, but here is a wedding photo for your enjoyment!


See!  Totally worth the wait, right?!  I could not even pick a favorite because I love so many!  Definitely, definitely, definitely will be recommending this photographer to anybody local who needs a reasonably-priced, fantastically-talented photographer for their wedding!

On a more random note, this past summer, I ambitiously claimed on a Facebook post (in a pseudo-blog form) that I would be posting a song daily while sharing with my Facebook audience the memory which that song evoked.  I cleverly called the post "Songs of Summer."  The only problem?  I was AWFUL at actually posting the songs (see "busy, busy, busy" above).  So, I thought, why not attempt to do here (on this blog) what I could not do there (on Facebook).  As a result, I have come up with my first posting theme:  Music Mondays.  Each Monday (that I remember to post), I would like to try to blog about a song which I find to be totally awesome, and then, I will share with you why it is so awesome!  If you like this idea, let me know.  If you do not, I will probably do it anyway... just because... it's my blog... DEAL WITH IT!

So, anyway, the song I have chosen to share with you today is actually one of my ALL-TIME favorite songs from one of my ALL-TIME favorite movies!  It is a song called "Only You" by the band Yazoo.  The song plays toward the end of the movie Can't Hardly Wait, a movie which my husband, Shawn, and I will watch pretty much any time we see that it's on.  As a result, we quote this movie ALL the time (well, we quote pretty much every movie all the time, but this is one of our favorites).



The music in the song is also deliciously synthesized 80's gold!  Can't beat that!  I love me some cheesy 80's synthesizer!  And, as if we needed yet another reason to love this song, Yazoo was referenced/featured on the British (the original) version of The Office, which we also love!




For all of these reasons (and just the sheer fact that this song is AMAZING), we decided to make this song the last song played at our wedding reception! :)  We love the words, the music, and all of the memories associated with it!  Here's a very special song, from our very special day! :)  I hope you enjoy it!  HAPPY MUSIC MONDAY (and Happy Anniversary to me)! :)


I found a video which also incorporates clips from the television show Fringe, which I used to be OBSESSED WITH!   I wish I had kept up with watching it... perhaps I'll need to buy it on DVD someday... until then... enjoy the added bonus! :)


*My husband made me fat when we started dating 3 years ago.  At least, I like to blame him, but it probably had a lot more to do with buying my own house, cooking my own meals, going on dates with him to nice restaurants with fattening foods, and my age/slowing metabolism.  It was a fatal combination, and I have been trying to lose those 30 extra pounds ever since.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

My claim to fame is that I had our thank-yous sent out within a month. That month included our move to Alaska. (So tell me, why do I not have more friends? I'm, like, overly polite!)
Glad you thought of a theme to hold you accountable for posting!
I recommend The Sunday Social if you want readers.
Oh, and you need to add the GFC Follower feature so we can follow you!

Katharine said...

Very impressive! I am jealous of your initiative! I am SUCH the procrastinator, and I just kept thinking, "Ah, another month won't hurt!" It ended up working out nicely, though! :) We got a lot of compliments on our "Anniversary" Thank You Cards! :)

I have always believed in quality over quantity when it comes to friends. I tend to be a bit anti-social, so I'd rather have a few reliable friends than a whole bunch whom I feel "meh" about.

I got so behind on blogging because grades were due, then Parent-Teacher Conferences, and then, personal/family stuff. It's been hectic to say the least! But I'm back! :) I'm going to try to post at least every other day... nothing overly ambitious till I get better at time management. You'll have to help me set it up so people can follow me, and I can follow people! :) I still haven't figured out how to do that! :)

How's a Facebook-free life?! I've thought about making the leap myself, so you'll have to let me know how it's been! :) I think I'll be using Twitter a lot more myself, as well! :) Talk soon!